It’s difficult for me to imagine what my 2021 will look like.
For one, I’ll have a newborn baby boy occupying nearly all of my time and energy.
For two, my business, which has been my “baby” for the past four and a half year, will be at the bottom of my priority list.
When I initially imagined getting pregnant and having a baby when my husband and I first started trying back in August of 2019, I envisioned developing a close knit circle of fellow mamas here in my community. I had images of in-person mom/baby group meetings, brunches, and mommy and me classes. That idea wasn’t unreasonable since I already belonged to a lovely book club with other ladies of child-bearing age and desire.
But of course, this pregnancy, along with nearly all of the other quarantine pregnancies, has ended up on the quieter, lonelier spectrum. And I’m pretty sure early mommy-hood will be more of the same, at least until this pandemic is over.
That said, I do want to give some structure to my 2021 and I can think of no better way to do that than to create some reasonable, achievable goals for myself.
With that in mind, here are some goals, both big and small, I’d like to accomplish in 2021 (I’m writing them here and putting them out into the universe for some personal accountability):
- Breastfeed for at least 6 months, preferably a year;
- Develop a consistent morning routine;
- Develop a consistent evening routine;
- Read (or, most likely listen to), at least 1 book per week;
- Reach out and chat to at least 1 friend, at least 1 time per week;
- Learn to make 1 new Persian recipe per month;
- Memorize the NATO Phonetic Alphabet (I’ve wanted to do this for YEARS);
- Starting 3 months post-partum, start building my running stamina again, until I can “comfortably” run a 5K multiple times per week;
- Improve my penmanship/learn calligraphy;
- Restart learning to play piano;
- Complete 300+ days of Duolingo in Italian;
- Complete 3 Masterclasses;
- Complete 1 lesson with Scholars per month;
- Blog at least 1x/week.
Do you have any goals you’d like to set for yourself in 2021? If so, what are they and why are they important to you?